- Town Services
- Planning & Development
- Building Permits & Inspections
- Forms & Applications
Forms & Applications
New Residents, Taxes & Utilities
- Move-In Notification
- Move-Out Notification
- Registration for e-Services (Electronic Billing)
- Utilities Payment Pre-Authorization
- Tax Installment Payment Program (TIPP) Application
- Renter - Notification of Utility Bill Authorization
- School Support Declaration
- Utility Connect and Disconnect Request
- Cancel or Change Pre-Authorized Payments - Utilities
- Cancel or Change Pre-Authorized Payments - Taxes (TIPP)
- Tax Certificate Request
Planning & Development Forms
- Business Licensing
- Development Permit Applications
- Building / Electrical / Gas / Plumbing Permits
- Certificates of Compliance
New resident and non-resident business can apply using the Business Licence Application.
Prior to applying for your new business licence, please ensure that there has been a current development permit (such as a Home Occupation Permit) issued for that use on that specific property. One of our Planning & Development staff members can assist you in determining what permits or approvals you need prior to opening.
Business Licence Renewals
New in 2023! Submit your Renewal via online form.
Fill out the online form, upload any required documents, and pay the required fee (online via credit card, via e-transfer, through the mail, or in person / drop off).
You can submit your renewal paperwork by:
- Dropping off your renewal to your local Town Office:
- For businesses formerly licensed with the Town of Black Diamond:
Town of Diamond Valley Municipal Office
301 Centre Avenue W
Diamond Valley, AB
- For businesses formerly licensed with the Town of Turner Valley:
Town of Diamond Valley
514 Windsor Avenue NW
Diamond Valley, AB
- Mailing to Box 10 Diamond Valley, AB T0L 0H0
- Emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
- Submitting it with your Option Pay payment
Please make sure that you have:
□ Checked your information on the form and that it is up to date.
□ Opted in or out of the Business Licence Online Directory and Economic Development emails.
□ Included copies of all licences, permits, certificates and other documents of qualification required under this or any other Bylaw or under any statute of Canada or Province of Alberta (ie AGLC, AMVIC & AHS). These must be current and submitted yearly. Proof of a positive Fire Inspection is not required for renewal application. The Fire Department may be in contact with you to arrange fire inspection as determined by current Town policy.
□ Signed your renewal form.
Thank you for your help in ensuring speedy processing.
Home Occupation Permits
Home occupations are small-scale businesses that operate out of a home in a residential neighbourhood. Two types of home occupations are allowed in Diamond Valley:
A Minor Home Occupation means a home-based business with no aspects of the business detectable from outside the property. The business shall generate no client contact at the residence and shall employ only individuals who reside within the dwelling. Minor uses typically only involve a “desk and telephone-type” operation and may include contractors, professionals, consultants, and catalogue sales.
A Major Home Occupation means a home-based business which may generate client visits but shall not change the residential character of the dwelling and accessory building. Non-resident employees may be allowed. Typical uses may include, but not be limited to, hobby crafts, hairdressing, consultants, professionals, music instruction, and tutoring.
To determine your home business classification, please consider the following questions:
- Do you have clients or customers coming to your home?
- Do you have deliveries to your home?
- Do you have employees coming to your home?
- Do you manufacture or produce goods in your home? For example, manufacturing furniture or producing food items.
- Do you store materials and equipment or park trailers/commercial vehicles on site?
Development & Related Fees
Master Fee Schedule (Fees effective as of January 1, 2023)
Design Guidelines for Development
Is your development within the Historic Downtown Design Standards?
Building, Electric, Gas & Plumbing Permitting
Park Enterprises Ltd. is the contracted company that services our permits. Payment and application submission can be made directly to Park Enterprises Ltd.
Permits are required for all new developments, buildings, additions, demolitions or alterations to your property or on existing structures. Development permits are needed to make sure that projects meet municipal land use bylaw regulations, while building permits ensure that National Building Code - 2019 Alberta Edition standards. Safety code permits are also required for changes in electrical, plumbing or gas.
To apply for any of the safety code permits please complete and submit the application and applicable fees and documents to Park Enterprises.
Forms and fee schedules may be subject to change; however, we make every attempt to maintain current and accurate information regarding permits and their corresponding fees.
For some commonly asked question please go to our Building Page.
Permit Application Forms
- Building Permit Application
- Electric Permit Application
- Gas Permit Application
- Plumbing Permit Application
- PSDS Permit Application
Fees & Payment
Safety code permit fees are payable directly to Park Enterprises.
- Building, Gas, Electric & Plumbing Permit Fees
- Credit Card Authorization - Contractor
- Credit Card Authorization - Homeowner
Request for Certificate of Compliance
A Compliance Certificate is a confirmation from the Town of Diamond Valley that the location of structures on a property comply with the Land Use Bylaw and have the appropriate development permits. This is confirmed on a Real Property Report (RPR) prepared by a registered Alberta land surveyor. The Town does not require property owners to obtain a Compliance Certificate, however, it is provided as a service when requested.
When Do I Need One?
A Compliance Certificate is usually a condition placed on the seller by either the purchaser or their lending institution in order to protect their clients' investments. Standard real estate purchase contracts often require the seller to obtain a Compliance Certificate.
A Compliance Certificate may be requested when:
• Real estate is sold, or purchased.
• Financial institutions require a statement when approving a mortgage.
• Lawyers representing home buyers request a compliance certificate.
Compliance verification includes:
• Review of the setbacks required by the Town of Turner Valley Land Use Bylaw for various types of improvements on the land (i.e. house, deck or garage).
• Encroachments into easements, rights-of-way and municipal properties (i.e. roads, lanes, etc.).
• A compliance certificate is issued by a compliance stamp on the real property report or a letter, depending on the findings of the review.
Verification does not include:
• Review of fences or walls between property owners.
• Completion of building permit requirements under the Alberta Building Code.
What happens once I submit my application?
If we require any clarification or additional information, we will contact you. Straightforward requests take approximately five (5) business days to process. Fast-track processing (two (2) business days) is available for an additional fee.
Did You Know?
• As a result of a review for a compliance certificate, landowners may be required to obtain the necessary permits for buildings constructed without proper approvals.
• It does not regulate or enforce any building code requirements or serve as a confirmation of permit history on a property.
• Non-compliant structures from before you owned a property may hinder receiving a compliance certificate for your property.
The Town of Diamond Valley accepts payment (cash, cheque, or debit) at either of our Municipal Office locations, and also via e-transfer sent to email@example.com or online via credit card through our Option Pay system (please note that additional fees apply for credit card payments).
Our regular business hours are 8:00am - 4:00pm Monday - Friday.
Phone 403-933-4348 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Main Office (former Black Diamond office): 301 Centre Avenue W
Satellite Office (former Turner Valley office): 514 Windsor Avenue NW
Mail: Box 10, Diamond Valley, Alberta T0L 0H0