Diamond Valley Economic Development
The Town of Diamond Valley offers a dynamic and diverse business sector with strengths in agriculture/agri-foods, retail services, tourism, food and hospitality services, light industry, home-based businesses, arts, health and wellness services, and value-added products.
At the May 23, 2018 Friendship Agreement Meeting (FAM), Councils of the Towns of Black Diamond and Turner Valley agreed to pursue an Intermunicipal Economic Development Committee (IEDC) and submit Community and Regional Economic Support program (CARES) funding application to jointly:
- Increase business investment, job creation, increase the non-residential tax base for both communities
- Focus on business retention and support, diversification and promotion
- Maximize limited resources and extend marketing impact
- Strengthen community identity and pride
The Economic Development Committee (EDC) has created several initiatives aimed at attracting business investment to the Town of Diamond Valley. The EDC consists of two members of Council and eight members-at-large from the local business community. The members bring a breadth of local knowledge and professional experience and a commitment to work together to maximize investment opportunities and marketing impact. View additional information about the EDC.
Economic Development Strategy
The Towns of Black Diamond and Turner Valley, in recognizing the shared potential of their communities, developed the Black Diamond – Turner Valley Intermunicipal Economic Development Strategy (IEDS) in November 2019. The strategy leverages existing economic development work done by both communities and advances innovative strategies that stimulate shared growth and prosperity.
The document outlines strategic directions to move the initiative forward. These include:
- Build economic development capacity– This priority includes putting the resources in place and building the base for successful implementation of the strategy.
- Foster a friendly environment for new development and existing businesses – Developing the tools and making information available to ensure investor readiness.
- Support business retention and expansion of entrepreneurship – Providing platforms for existing business promotion and providing resources for new businesses and entrepreneurship.
- Target community-based economic development – Focus on promoting the existing community assets and enabling the community to play an active role in economic development.
- Make Diamond Valley a destination – Showcasing the community as a place to visit, invest, start a business and live.
In July of 2020, Turner Valley and Black Diamond Councils accepted the Black Diamond / Turner Valley Intermunicipal Economic Development Marketing Plan.
The marketing goals for the IEDS Marketing Plan define what successful implementation will achieve. These include:
- That the Black Diamond – Turner Valley Intermunicipal Economic Development Strategy is seen as a milestone for the Towns’ new shared direction.
- Black Diamond and Turner Valley have a common economic development brand and shared marketing resources.
- Black Diamond and Turner Valley are viewed as investor-ready.
- Potential investors, visitors and residents are aware of what community, business and tourism assets are available.
Economic Development Website
In 2021, an Economic Development website was launched to the public to showcase the strengths of the area and highlight the economic opportunities available here. Aimed at encouraging investment the website provides prospective entrepreneurs with information promoting the advantages of opening a business in our community. This initiative is part of a multi-pronged project and marketing campaign directed to the Calgary and regional market to position our region as an attractive destination for entrepreneurial growth and development.
Visit www.economicdevelopmentbdtv.ca to learn more about the area and the ways the Town of Diamond Valley is working to help businesses take root, grow and thrive in our beautiful community.
Diamond Valley investment Guide
A priority marketing project, the Diamond Valley Investment Guide was developed, designed and launched to the public in August 2022. View community profile statistics and gain valuable information of the demographics and amenities available in our community.
Community Services and Recreation Manager